Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Word of the Day: Oundahsi

There has been another word-related challenge! This one comes from Jill, the mom of Vicki’s friend Brian. The word “oundahsi” was given to me, and I am supposed to provide a definition! After careful consideration, I have determined that “oundahsi” comes from following roots:

Os (Latin)- mouth, face
und (Latin)- wave
a (Latin)- not, without
sei (Greek)- shake


Word: O und ah si
Root: os und a sei
Meaning: “Face” “wave” “without" “shake”

So the definition is….DRUMROLL *drum drum drum drum drum drum*:

Oundahsi- (n.) a photograph of a group of people whose faces are not blurred.

When trying to take a picture of a crowd, photographers have trouble getting everyone to stay still. When the picture is taken, usually a few faces are blurry. “Oundahsi” is a term for the rare picture that does NOT have this problem. That is, the wave of faces does not shake!

“It took me a couple of tries,” said Vicki, adjusting her camera lens, “but I finally got an oundahsi of everyone after Thanksgiving dinner.”

For example: my profile picture for this blog is a lovely oundahsi!

2 comments:

Jill Anderson said...

I will now go with "Say Oundahsi" instead of "Say Cheese" when I take a photo. Maybe it'll catch on, like Frindle did.

Sara Bean said...

Frindle is an excellent word! Maybe we can get Andrew Clements to write a book about Oundahsies...